The Public Affairs Group is ABHI’s main forum for developing and communicating its Public Affairs strategy. It aims to raise the profile of the benefits and impacts of HealthTech across Parliament and Government, while providing members with the latest insights on legislative change. It also has specific working groups on developing trade deal policy and a sustainability agenda.
- Chair - Nigel Talboys, Terumo
- Vice Chairs - Kieran Murphy, ReCor Medical UK & Alan Sumner, Roche Diagnostics
- 19 MPs from across all major parties committed to learning more about the impact of our sector and became
- In 2019, ABHI ran the secretariat of the Health Technology Partnership and started six different workstreams, including a joint industry and Government trade co-ordination group. ABHI also secured increased HealthTech presence across all the broader Life Sciences engagement forums.
- Since the Brexit referendum, ABHI and our members have continued to contribute and share insights on the debate of our future relationship with Europe and the rest of the world. The Public Affairs Group has continued to inform our position, activity and member communications on Brexit, ensuring members are represented and up to date.
- To achieve a significant commitment from UK government that ensures the delivery of innovation is accountable to the Board of every NHS organisation.
- To ensure strong impact follows the increased representation of the HealthTech sector in all formal government engagements (Life Sciences Council, Health Technology Partnership, EU Relationship Group and the Innovation Research and Data Group).
- To inform ABHI’s position and activity on key issues in Parliament, particularly where there is a legislative programme. We expect this to most notably include the NHS Bill, the Medicines and Medical Devices Bill, the Trade Bill and secondary legislation on plastic packaging.
Click here to view the latest updates, minutes and future meeting dates for the group.
“The ABHI Public Affairs Group keeps members up to date on the latest Government activity, whilst agreeing and delivering the strategic public affairs objectives of the HealthTech industry. This is an extremely exciting plan where the Public Affairs Group can provide members with clarity and direction in this changing environment.”
Nigel Talboys, Director, Global Government Affairs and Public Policy, Terumo & Public Affairs Group Chair