The ABHI Surgical Instruments Group represents manufacturers of surgical instruments and associated equipment. It is designed to raise awareness of the value provided by surgical products and the importance of continual quality improvement, with a focus on patient safety and clinical performance. In working to develop and highlight best practice, the group provides a forum for its members to share insights and overcome the challenges impacting the sector.
- Chair - Daniel Coole, Surgical Holdings
- Vice Chair - Darby Booth, Warwick SASCo
- Production of the Surgical Instrument Strategy document which identified three key recommendations.
- Convened a virtual round table with key stakeholders to discuss the Surgical Instrument Strategy document recommendations.
- Working group formed to develop an online training course.
- To ensure this industry sector is seen as safe, accountable, professional and equitable.
- To raise awareness of the value provided by surgical equipment, with a focus on patient safety and clinical performance.
- To be inclusive of all relevant industry manufacturers e.g. single use and reusable instruments.
- Click here to view the latest updates, minutes and future meeting dates for the group.
- Quality Safety and Value: The role of Surgical Instruments. This paper, complied by the Group, details the role of surgical instruments and how they bring value to the NHS.
- The Surgical Instruments Group has created the Surgical Instrument Purchase and Care Guide. The document provides guidance for purchasing and caring for surgical instruments.
- Listen to Dan Coole, group Chair, talk about the group's activities in this ABHI podcast.
The UK's Surgical Instrument Industry
- £1.1b turnover
- 4,500 Staff
- 130 companies
Source: Bioscience and health technology sector statistics 2020
“Warwick SASCo has been members of the Surgical group for 10 years. The platform allows for vital two-way communications of industry knowledge. That ABHI has its ‘finger on the pulse’ of UK and international health sectors has a direct effect on my company’s positioning and actions to remain a leading supplier of medical devices and healthcare products. Participation in the Surgical group allows for co-operation and engagement with other key UK companies involved in surgery, instrument management and decontamination. I recommend you join..”
Darby Booth, Warwick SASCo Ltd.
“A Group of dedicated reusable and disposable companies working together to provide the NHS and private sector with quality products, along with education and support. Together, striving to help hospitals and staff with their everyday work as a reliable source of information.”
Andrew Davidson, DTR Medical