This area of ABHI’s work focuses on two main sectors, orthopaedics (encompassing joints), and spine. These groups work with stakeholders such as clinicians, and patient groups, to shape and improve the future of musculoskeletal care.
- Chair (Orthopaedics) - Sandra Lawrence, Stryker
- Vice Chair (Orthopaedics) - Andrew Dalton, Depuy Synthes
- Chair (Spine) - Kate Windard, Nuvasive.
- Vice Chair (Spine) - Guy Newell, B Braun Medical Ltd.
- Produced a report on the hidden barriers to hip and knee replacement.
- Industry inputting into the definition and classification of musculoskeletal categories e.g. Orthopaedic Data Evaluation Panel.
- Collaboration on specific industry issues with the British Orthopaedic Association and formal seat at the British Association of Spine Surgeons executive table.
- To raise the profile and address the implication of arbitrary restrictions placed on patients needing musculoskeletal services.
- To ensure the appropriate environment for the spinal and orthopaedics industries to work with the NHS in a safe and compliant method.
- To strengthen industry's voice in our relationships with our stakeholders and patient groups.
Click here to view the latest updates, minutes and future meeting dates for the group.
- The Orthopaedics Group has mapped its impact with this useful infographic.
The UK's Orthopaedic Industry
- £1,59bn turnover
- 8,164 Staff
- 152 companies
“Stryker is an active member of the Orthopaedic Group and I have had the pleasure of Chairing the group for the last few years. The group has clear strategic objectives, and ensures the industry is represented in different stakeholder bodies such as Beyond Compliance and the National Joint Registry. The group has been proactive in working with key patient and surgeon groups in establishing a joint project to improve patient access to joint replacement surgery. The group is engaged and committed and I look forward to continuing our work throughout 2020.”
Sandra Lawrence, Public Affairs & Commercial Director & Orthopaedic Group Chair
“Orthopaedics is changing, both in terms of service delivery, and the market we operate in, be a part of a group that is an active voice in the change and one that is shaping the future”.
Andrew Dalton, Orthopaedics Director, Johnson & Johnson & Orthopaedic Group Vice Chair