ABHI Surgical has two key working groups, one focused on surgical instruments and one on surgical ancillary devices. The groups represent manufacturers of surgical instruments and associated equipment. They are designed to raise awareness of the value provided by these products and the importance of continual quality improvement, with a focus on patient safety and clinical performance. In working to develop and highlight best practice, the groups provides a forum for its members to share insights and overcome the challenges impacting the sector.
- Chair (Surgical Instruments Group) - Daniel Coole, Surgical Holdings
- Vice Chair (Surgical Instruments Group) - Paula Singleton-Hobbs, B.Braun Medical
- Delivery of a series of presentations on the quality of surgical instruments to key stakeholders.
- Engagement with all key stakeholders.
- Extension of group diversity through inclusion of reusable and single use instrument manufacturers.
- Development of a stakeholder introduction and quality document.
- All suppliers on the NHS Framework achieved the required Labour Standards Assurance System standards.
- Review with the aim of reissuing reprocessing instructions for reusable surgical instruments as per the Medical Device Regulation.
- To ensure this industry sector is seen as safe, accountable, professional and equitable.
- Ensure visibility of the group through the industry.
- To be inclusive of all relevant industry manufacturers.
- To raise awareness of the value provided by surgical equipment, with a focus on patient safety and clinical performance.
- To contribute to the development of best practice within this sector.
- Click here to view the latest updates, minutes and future meeting dates for the group.
- Quality Safety and Value: The role of Surgical Instruments. This paper, complied by the Group, details the role of surgical instruments and how they bring value to the NHS.
- The Surgical Instruments Group has created the Surgical Instrument Purchase and Care Guide. The document provides guidance for purchasing and caring for surgical instruments.
- Listen to Dan Coole, group Chair, talk about the group's activities in this ABHI podcast.
The UK's Surgical Instrument Industry
- £987m turnover
- 4.381 Staff
- 124 companies
“The group has taken on a really positive direction, for the proactive development of the industry. We’re discussing sustainability, ethical supply and patient safety, and how this can be practically applied in the current climate. We have a diverse range of companies involved, many of whom attend for varying reasons. I personally am very excited about our future engagements with our stakeholders and the educational support we can offer as a group.”
Daniel Coole, Managing Director, Surgical Instrument Holdings & Surgical Instruments Group Chair
“A group of dedicated reusable and disposable instrument companies working together to provide the NHS and private sector with quality products, along with education and support. Together, striving to help hospitals and staff with their everyday work as a reliable source of information.”
Paula Singleton-Hobbs, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Instrument & Containers, B, Braun & Surgical Instruments Group Vice Chair