Government & NHS Information
The government has stressed that it is “well prepared to respond in a way that offers substantial protection to the public”, having “planned extensively over the years for an event like this”. The action plan set out by the Health Secretary and Prime Minister has four phases:
- Contain: detect early cases, follow up close contacts, and prevent the disease taking hold in this country for as long as is reasonably possible;
- Delay: slow the spread in this country, if it does take hold, lowering the peak impact and pushing it away from the winter season;
- Research: better understand the virus and the actions that will lessen its effect on the UK population, as well as innovate responses including diagnostics, drugs and vaccines; and
- Mitigate: provide the best care possible for people who become ill, support hospitals to maintain essential services and ensure ongoing support for people ill in the community to minimise the overall impact of the disease on society, public services and on the economy.
We are monitoring guidance being issued by Public Health England and the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and we are following this guidance carefully.
- COVID-19 Response Hub. The Government has created a ‘Response Hub’, which collates all of the key guidance from the NHS, Public Health England and the NHS, alongside the action plan launched by the Prime Minister. This is the key resource for the latest information and advice, including:
- Guidance for health professionals and other organisations.
- Guidance for the general public.
- Working Safely: Guidance for employers and businesses.
- Travel advice. Guidance for British people travelling and living overseas.
- Number of COVID-19 cases and risk in the UK.
- Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can’t do.
- Public Health England have developed this COVID-19 Dashboard highlighting total UK cases.
- Public information campaign on hand washing. The Government are focusing their public information campaign on the importance of hand washing, stressing the importance of washing hands more regularly and for twenty seconds.
- NSDR Letter to Suppliers. 13th March 2020.
- New government structures to coordinate response to coronavirus - 17th March 2020.
- The Business Support website helps businesses find the right support, advice and information to help with the impact of COVID-19 and the support measures that are available.
- COVID-19 guidance for UK businesses trading internationally.
- Scottish Government: School closure guidance for key workers. Further guidance issued on 24th March 2020 is available here.
- Government announces national testing strategy. 4th April 2020.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) hub.
- A revaluation of business rates will no longer take place in 2021 to help reduce uncertainty for firms affected by the impacts of coronavirus. 6th May 2020.
- Travellers exempt from UK border rules. 22nd May 2020.
- Working safely during COVID-19.
- Risk asessment tool: Reopen your business safely during (COVID‑19).
- Office for Life Sciences Bulletin. 4th June 2021.
- Apply for you and your household to get tested for COVID-19.
- COVID-19 testing: guidance for employers and third-party healthcare providers.
- Government launches NHS Test and Trace service. 27th May 2020.
- Vital routes for supplies and people kept open through coronavirus support package. 24th April 2020.
- NHS Information. Information on how COVID-19 is spread and how to avoid catching or spreading germs.
- Simon Stevens letter to all Chief Executives of all NHS trusts: Next Steps on NHS Response to COVID-19 - 17th March 2020.
Research & Clinical Trials
- NIHR's response to COVID-19.
- DHSC guidance on the impact on COVID-19 on research supported by NIHR. 16th March 2020.
- Recruiting Patients into COVID-19 Clinical Trials: Letter from CMOs and NHSE Medical Directors to NHS. 6th May 2020.
- NIHR and NICE have developed a guide on clinical evidence generation for developers of medicinal products for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19. 11th June 2020.
- New £1.3 million national research programme to evaluate coronavirus tests in hospitals, general practices and care homes. 24th June 2020.
- Sign up to get email updates about the MHRA’s work
- MHRA guidance on COVID-19.
- Exemptions from Devices regulations during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Medical devices given exceptional use authorisations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Regulatory flexibilities resulting from COVID-19.
- Guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19) tests and testing kits.
- New MHRA website for reporting coronavirus medicines side effects and equipment incidents
- For industry and manufacturers: COVID-19 tests and testing kits
- Medical device stand-alone software including apps (including IVDMDs).
Department for International Trade
- Notice to exporters:processing licence applications during coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Notice to exporters: Export Control Joint Unit updates guidance on compliance checks for open licences.