Government & NHS Information
The government has stressed that it is “well prepared to respond in a way that offers substantial protection to the public”, having “planned extensively over the years for an event like this”. The action plan set out by the Health Secretary and Prime Minister has four phases:
- Contain: detect early cases, follow up close contacts, and prevent the disease taking hold in this country for as long as is reasonably possible;
- Delay: slow the spread in this country, if it does take hold, lowering the peak impact and pushing it away from the winter season;
- Research: better understand the virus and the actions that will lessen its effect on the UK population, as well as innovate responses including diagnostics, drugs and vaccines; and
- Mitigate: provide the best care possible for people who become ill, support hospitals to maintain essential services and ensure ongoing support for people ill in the community to minimise the overall impact of the disease on society, public services and on the economy.
We are monitoring guidance being issued by Public Health England and the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) and we are following this guidance carefully.
- COVID-19 Response Hub. The Government has created a ‘Response Hub’, which collates all of the key guidance from the NHS, Public Health England and the NHS, alongside the action plan launched by the Prime Minister. This is the key resource for the latest information and advice, including:
- Guidance for health professionals and other organisations.
- Guidance for the general public.
- Guidance for employers and businesses. This details what to do if someone suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 has been in business settings; what advice to give to individuals who have travelled to specific areas; and actions to take if staff come into contact with someone who is self-isolating or is a possible or confirmed case of COVID-19.
- Travel advice. Guidance for British people travelling and living overseas.
- Number of COVID-19 cases and risk in the UK.
- Public Health England have developed this COVID-19 Dashboard highlighting total UK cases.
- Public information campaign on hand washing. The Government are focusing their public information campaign on the importance of hand washing, stressing the importance of washing hands more regularly and for twenty seconds.
- NSDR Letter to Suppliers. 13th March 2020.
- New government structures to coordinate response to coronavirus - 17th March 2020.
- The Business Support website helps businesses find the right support, advice and information to help with the impact of COVID-19 and the support measures that are available.
- COVID-19 guidance for UK businesses trading internationally.
- Scottish Government: School closure guidance for key workers. Further guidance issued on 24th March 2020 is available here.
- Office for Life Sciences Bulletin. 31st March 2020.
- NHS Information. Information on how COVID-19 is spread and how to avoid catching or spreading germs.
- Simon Stevens letter to all Chief Executives of all NHS trusts: Next Steps on NHS Response to COVID-19 - 17th March 2020.
- NIHR's response to COVID-19.
- DHSC guidance on the impact on COVID-19 on research supported by NIHR. 16th March 2020.
- MHRA guidance on COVID-19.
- Exemptions from Devices regulations during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.